Swap partition not used?

Simon Burke simon.burke at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 13:36:52 GMT 2004

Hiya,

After a while of using 5.3RELEASE, i have noticed a small problem, my
swap partition isnt getting used. Well its not a small problem
considering that i have only 256mb ram on this machine.

boredom# swapctl -l
Device:       1024-blocks     Used:
/dev/ad0s1b      482112        56

this i suppose shows that some of it is used but the amount used never
increases. I'm currently using 100% memory (installing openoffice from
ports, finally).

It is in /etc/fstab as:

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0

I've tried using swapon -a to add it and it doesnt seem to have worked.

Its also does not show in df -ha ,though i cant recall if it is
supposed to be there. Though i dont think it has to be mounted?
--
Theres no place like ::1

Thanks,
SimonB