wireless home network

Chris Rodgers freebsd-users-uk at bulk.rodgers.org.uk
Wed Aug 11 16:41:50 BST 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 14:53, Jonathan Belson wrote:
> > Here are a few (somewhat random) thoughts for you...
> >
> > I may have got this wrong, but surely SSH will be secure without any
> > additional steps. Once you have IP connectivity between the machines,
> > you can SSH away! Any traffic will be encrypted by SSH and it doesn't
> > matter if someone can sniff this.
>
> >From memory, ssh tunneling only supports TCP traffic so encrypting e.g.
> shares won't work.

Fine. I meant the SSH session itself will be encrypted. Of course
anything which is not set up to connect via an SSH tunnel (using that
session) will not be secured. As you say, arranging to SSH tunnel
windows shares is hard (I never managed).

While we're talking about network magic... My ISP forces me to
disconnect at regular intervals. Although I can dial back up
immediately, I will get a different IP address and all the connections
coming out of my internal network will be reset. Is there any way (with
the possibility of assistance from an external host) to keep connections
from the internal network open during a change in IP address like this?

Chris Rodgers.