Colo management

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Fri Apr 30 19:01:19 BST 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 02:04:04PM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:
> I'm looking for advice on things like console servers and PDU kit to
> remotely manage servers in a rack at a colo.
> Suggestions made to me so far have been to look at Cyclades TS1000 and
> AlterPath kit.

I'm using a legacy Xylogics Annex 16 UTP port with a 2.4Ghz Dell machine
dual homed in front, running FreeBSD 4.10 and conserver. We are putting
infrastructure in place to do SNMP data collection on this machine too
using Cricket, Big Sister and net-snmp.

We rely on the colocation provider's power system, we don't have UPSes
yet :( but I'm given to understand APC devices are well supported (apart
=66rom the USB ones, don't quote me on that).

Updating the Cyclades is a real PITA -- it uses a modified Linux/ppc
kernel with BusyBox for most of the userland and some custom tty
management daemons, as well as OpenSSH; like most Cisco devices it's
Motorola PowerQUICC based; my experience here is with the TS2000.

Regards,
BMS