Random panics on new hardware

Dimitrios sehh at altered.com
Thu Apr 29 20:50:35 BST 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:22:21 +0100 "Ben Smithurst" <ben at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> I've had a report off list from someone who has also had problems with
> an Athlon 2500 in this board (A7V8X-X) but a 2400 works fine.  I find
> that odd since it's one of the AMD-recommended boards but it seems to
> agree with what I'm seeing.  I'm running the chip at 1650MHz now which
> is presumably something like 2300-2400 in Athlon 'speeds'.

I've seen similar problems on two other systems, both of them had
badly seated heatsinks (one was official amd that came with cpu,
the other was some other brand).

I've had the same problem with my CLK-800 heatsinks, they are super-heavy
so i didn't seat one of them correctly, so the system would panic at random.

I'd suggest you remove the heatsink completely and re-seat it.

Though your bios seems to have a different opinion :P