Random panics on new hardware

Jonathan Belson jon at witchspace.com
Thu Apr 29 11:17:03 BST 2004

> Martin Hepworth wrote:

> Also the CPU is using the heatsink/fan that came with it (AMD retail
> package) so it should be ok.

Are you 100% sure the heatsink is fitted tightly against the CPU?  I had
a similar random crash problem after upgrading a CPU; after removing the
heatsink I noticed that the imprint left on the conductive patch wasn't
perfectly square.  Taking a closer look, I realised that the heatsink
wasn't aligned properly (it was partly resting on something or another,
can't remember exactly) so the CPU was overheating within a few minutes
of powering up.

Cheers,

--
Jon