Random panics on new hardware

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Wed Apr 28 13:18:14 BST 2004

On 28 Apr 2004 at 12:33, Matt Dawson wrote:

> Why is
> the computer industry the only one that sees this sort of thing as acceptable
> behavior?

It's because PCs are the only products made of cheap noname low-margin
interchangeable parts. Combined with the complexity and unreliability of
much software, the fact that proper problem diagnosis costs more than
replacing said hardware and that it only needs to last a few years
anyway. I think that covers it.

Somebody correct me but I believe consumer law actually means you can
return something within six (?) years if it fails because of poor
quality. That would cover your 1995 PC you suddenly found (in 2000)
wasn't Y2K compliant.

Jon