Remote Backup Question

Sam freebsd-users at pikesley.org
Wed Apr 28 11:24:57 BST 2004

Dave

It will depend on how much data you've got, and how much bandwidth you
have to play with, but you might want to have a look at the mighty
rsync:

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

I really can't say enough good things about this fantastic tool; usage
is something like:

rsync -avz remote.host.com:/path/to/stuff /local/path

It compares the list of files at both ends and then sends the deltas.
And it runs over ssh by default now.

There's a lot more you can do with it (have a look at the man page), but
for remote backups it's great.

Hope this helps.

Sam
;)