Email forwarding question

Robert Myles rob at rexfeatures.com
Mon Apr 19 15:51:32 BST 2004

Dave

The + symbol is, I believe, a recipient delimiter. Cyrus handles address
such as user1+foo at example.com by delivering it to the mailbox called foo in
user1's account. If mailbox foo doesn't exist then it just gets dumped in
the user's inbox as if it was addressed to user1 at example.com

Looking in postfix's docs (man 8 virtual):

 ADDRESS EXTENSION
        When a mail address localpart contains the optional recip-
        ient delimiter (e.g., user+foo at domain), the  lookup  order
        becomes: user+foo at domain, user at domain, user+foo, user, and
        @domain.  An unmatched address extension (+foo) is  propa-
        gated to the result of table lookup.

and, further down:

        /usr/local/etc/postfix/virtual:
            #virtual-alias.domain anything (right-hand content
            # does not matter)
            postmaster at virtual-alias.domain      postmaster
            user1 at virtual-alias.domain   address1
            user2 at virtual-alias.domain   address2, address3

Looks like your multiple addresses should be comma separated.

Rob