Memory leakage

Dimitrios sehh at altered.com
Fri Apr 2 16:32:47 BST 2004

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 11:51:18 +0100 "Paul Civati" <paul at xciv.org> wrote:

> Also worth noting that modern o/s will use as much memory as available,
> for file system buffer cache etc.
> Perhaps he should present some top output for analysis, and then you can
> see if/where there is an actual problem.

It is also important to note that 'top' reports X memory usage by
adding all X apps the combined shared memory usage, so for example my X
is reported to use 217M when X is only using 89M in total.

I think the correct way to measure memory usage in 'top' is to read
the RSS value and not the SIZE value.

Also 'free -m' will show memory size minus buffers/cache, which is
more accurate, since as stated by Paul, the kernel will use as much
available memory even though applications only use a fraction of that
(the rest goes to buffers/caches).