is this normal?

Mike Bristow mike at urgle.com
Thu Apr 1 12:49:12 BST 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:52:53AM +0100, Grant wrote:
> Checking for uids of 0:
> root 0
> toor 0
>
> who is "toor" i know its root backwards, but is it meant to be there or has someone added that without me knowing...

The install ppassword file can be found at:

http://cvsweb.freebsd.org/src/etc/master.passwd

If you poke about looking for the version of FreeBSD you installed
you'll find that there was a toor user - it's been there forever.

It's there for people who are 'backwards' and want a superuser with
a bourne shell, rather than the 'sensible' people who want csh.

IIRC csh was developed at UCB, hence the bigotry; these days I suspect
that most UNIX sysadmins would want something bourne-like than
csh-like as root's shell, but the bikeshed battle to change this
would be simply horrid.

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.