HP Deskjet Printer on FBSD5.1 - simply too difficult

Julian Rawcliffe jujuberry at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 27 01:38:17 BST 2003

On Friday 26 September 2003 00:34, Pete French wrote:
> > I know this is probably an incredibly stupid question, but I have an
> > HP Deskjet printer I'd like to be able to print to from my BSD box.
>
> Isntall the cups system from ports - very easy way to set up
> printers and it drives HP Deskjets just fine. Very much recommended
> over all that faffing about with filters and the like that you
> normally have to do under UNIX.

What a nightmare! Lprng (and lprngtool) is a non-starter. I have tried if=
hp,
but it doesn't support my printer. lprngtool is just to broken to even ru=
n.=20

Cups is even more inpenetrable - root is not allowed to perform configura=
tion=20
- I have used CUPS on a Linux box at work and have no idea how I managed =
get a printer configured).  I try pointing cupsppdtest at the supplied pp=
d=20
and just get:
# cupstestppd /usr/local/share/cups/model/deskjet.ppd
/usr/local/share/cups/model/deskjet.ppd:/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:=20
cupstestppd: Undefined symbol "ppdFindAttr"

So there's not a hope in hell of this working.

Why does this have to be so difficult? 2 days and all I've got is a syste=
full of non-working printer software.

Julian