HP Deskjet Printer on FBSD5.1

Julian Rawcliffe jujuberry at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 25 23:45:27 BST 2003

I know this is probably an incredibly stupid question, but I have an
HP Deskjet printer I'd like to be able to print to from my BSD box.
I have checked the handbook and it suggests that I look in the
printer manual for escape codes that the printer might accept -
I don't think so!
The printer is connected and is recognised by the kernel, no
problem, but any attempt to send to lpt0 results in one line of text acro=
ss
the page and the printer errors. OK, I need some sort of input filter or
output filter, but where to find details of what is available.

I tried to see if lprng might be supported, but it's not in ports and the
link on the handbook website no longer exists.

Many thanks,
Julian