Booting with missing /usr/local

Mike Bristow mike at urgle.com
Wed Sep 10 08:08:27 BST 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 08:02:04AM +0100, Henrik Morsing wrote:
> Hi,
> I moved /usr/local to a seperate device but forgot to mount it on start
> up. Now I can't login because it can't find /usr/local/bin/bash (I
> shouldn't really use this shell for root, should I).

No :)

> What can I do now?

Boot single-user.  (Section 7.3 of the FreeBSD handbook tells you how).

You'll get a root shell, before any disks are mounted (except /, which
is mounted read-only).  Do something like "mount -a" to mount everything
in /etc/fstab (so you have /usr/bin/vi & enough support to run it, and
/ becomes mounted read-write.  Fix /etc/fstab.  "mount -a" again to make
sure you didn't typo in /etc/fstab!  Reboot.

Cheers,
Mike

--
Good night little fishey-wishes....  I've counted you, so no
sneaky eating each other.