Interesting games with spam-assassin.

Ceri Davies setantae at submonkey.net
Sun Sep 7 12:20:17 BST 2003

--eaV5P3cR6+S+P6qN

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:31:09PM +0100, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:28:25PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
> > I'd agree with the latter idea too, although my MTA (exim, though I'm s=
ure
> > others allow it) has enough hooks that I could trivially implement the
> > 550-incoming-mail-over-12-points check, while allowing users who don't =
want
> > it to opt out (or vice versa).
> >=20
> > For the case in point of this list, however, I'd suggest that a bit of
> > mandatory spam filtering is fair game, if you have the resources to do =
it.
>=20
> Agreed - or applying severe header checking at the MTA level. Merely
> installing Postfix with a fair number of smtp recipient restrictions
> has enabled me to weed out most spoofed mail.
>=20
> Actively identifying spam requires an external agent. I find amavisd-new
> works well in this respect - it integrates SpamAssassin and also amortizes
> the startup cost by keeping it ready.

Hi Bruce,

How stable is amavisd?  I run the spamd daemon that's part of SpamAssassin
to avoid the startup costs, but very occassionally, it silently dies.

If you're not seeing any such problems with amavisd, then that's something
I'd want to try out.

Ceri
--=20
User: DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR?
Iniaes: Sure, I can accept all forms of payment.
                                           -- www.chatterboxchallenge.com

--eaV5P3cR6+S+P6qN

--eaV5P3cR6+S+P6qN--