This mail probably isn't spam but you can't be too sure these days

Josef Karthauser joe at tao.org.uk
Thu Sep 4 12:11:05 BST 2003

--xXmbgvnjoT4axfJE

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:34:26AM +0100, Glyn Grinstead wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 08:31:36AM +0100, Jon Schneider wrote:
> > I notice my other recent genuine mail to this list sent from another=20
> > address still awaits approval. There are obviously far more important=
=20
> > mails to allow through and it was only a silly question about installin=
g=20
> > 5.1.
>=20
> I'm not sure who approves non-subscribed emails right now - at a guess
> there's only one person and possibly not anyone right now. You haven't=20
> been singled out for (lack of) attention - I'm sure all emails are being=
=20
> ignored equally.
>=20

The original reason to make the list subscriber only was as a
"shooting from the hip" way of cutting down on the amount of spam
that was coming through.  It's not worked; a lot of mails are coming
=66rom forged address, many of whom are subscribed to the list.
Unfortunately this has had the side effect of creating mail to be
approved at an alarming rate of knots, several hundred a day.
Consequently I've fallen behind the moderation and there are currently
several thousand requests waiting in the admin queue - via a web
interface with no flexibility.

> > Who does transwarp.tao.org.uk belong to ?
>=20
>     Registrant:
>         Josef Karthauser t/as Tao Research
>=20
> Last seen Joe was back in education doing an MSc, he's also one of the=20
> FreeBSD committers and does scary things with CVS.

Hi.

> > Are tao.org.uk really a non-commercial organisation ?
>=20
> My guess would be yes, but I'll leave it to Joe to answer that one for
> definite. If he's making any money from it at all I'd be surprised if he
> covers the costs of running it.

I'm not making any money from FreeBSD things, although a number of my
customers do run FreeBSD on their servers.

> > Can stuff from transwarp just be blocked please ?
>=20
> Well, filtering out transwarp.tao.org.uk will almost certainly reduce the
> level of spam from the list by something in the region of 100%.=20
> Unfortunately, it'll also reduce *all* mail from the list by 100%[1] as i=
t's=20
> the primary mx for uk.freebsd.org (and I'm pretty sure he's not charging =
us
> any money to do that :-)

I am running spam assassin on transwarp and it marking most of the spam
as spam.  Unfortuneately Easynet, where the list server is housed, are
also running spam assassin and it's taking the mails that are marked as
spam, and declassifying them as not so spammy.  I think that instead
I'll just throw away any mail that appears to be spam to the list and
see if that fixes things.  I'm working on that at the moment.

Joe
--=20
Josef Karthauser (joe at tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/
FreeBSD (cvs meister, admin and hacker)     http://www.uk.FreeBSD.org/
Physics Particle Theory (student)   http://www.pact.cpes.sussex.ac.uk/
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D An eclectic mix of fact an=
d theory. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--xXmbgvnjoT4axfJE

--xXmbgvnjoT4axfJE--