Exploding P4's [OT]

Peter McGarvey fbsd-x at packet.org.uk
Tue Oct 14 20:41:24 BST 2003

* phil at budgetwebdesign.biz <phil at budgetwebdesign.biz> [2003-10-14 19:26:54 BST]:
> Hi list, been lurking a while but this is my first post:
>
> Couldn't agree more, my next computer purchase is going to be a Dual G5 -
> I've heard them in operation and they are so much more silent when compared
> to my current boxes (1 p2 FreeBSD firewall/router and 1 Athlon 1800XP).
> The athlon's just got even noisier due to the addition of ANOTHER case fan
> to stop the damn thing overheating.  Plus I'll feel less of a traitor to
> the cause since OS X runs on a BSD kernel, goodbye Microsoft, I will not
> miss you! :o)

<picky>
Actually, it's not a BSD kernel.  It's Mach kernel.

It's the userland and higher level networking stuff which is BSD.
</picky>

As for buying Apple....  I'd love to buy Apple.  However have you seen
how much Apples cost?  Dual G5s with a 17" display...  Just under 3K...

That's A LOT of cash.

So I've decided that spending £300 to silence my 1800XP is a much better
option.