Exploding P4's [OT]

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Tue Oct 14 19:02:50 BST 2003

While the videos in the same directory are very silly indeed (and I
suggest you watch them) there is a very serious point in that people
accept that it is ok for components (CPU mainly) of a desktop machine to
consume 100W and sound like a jet engine with my wheely bin emptied into
it.

Though there is a slightly questionnable move towards landfilling CRTs
and replacing them with LCD  monitors, we've gone from (x86) CPUs that
consumed well under 10W to the current sorry state of affairs in under
ten years. Will we be pushing 1kW and wearing ear muffs in a few more
years ? This alone is pushing me towards going Apple next time I shell
out for new kit.

Jon