Speedtouch modem/netgear router

Steve Greenshaw steve at softgreen.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 21:08:25 BST 2003

Hi,

I'd seriously recommend picking up something like a Draytek Vigor 2600. This
is a nice little piece of kit that just happens to be a router with a built
in ADSL modem, stateful firewall, DHCP, NAT, VPN, etc., etc., etc.
(http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600.html)

This would probably be cheaper than getting your hands on a clapped out 486
or some such to use as a router/firewall, it's easy to set up and takes up a
lot less space. On the downside, you'd then have a redundent USB ADSL modem
and you wouldn't have the fun of setting up your own firewall etc.

I have one of these myself so that I can network my Windoze workstation and
my FreeBSD box whilst sharing my BT broadband. Works a treat. They also do a
wireless version.

Steve.