Speedtouch modem/netgear router

Ben Tyson-Norrman ben at twowaytv.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 16:21:44 BST 2003

------_=_NextPart_001_01C38F42.36BA7A30

Personally (and this is only my personal advice), I would suggest getting a
heap of junk 486 or similar low end machine. Stick Smoothwall firewall
(www.smoothwall.org) on it. This means that you can:-

Connect the modem to it (check Smoothwall to ensure that your modem is
supported) - so that you can share the internet connection
And
Protect your network from some of the worst of the waves of crap that are
out there. You are going to have to fiddle around with the router to protect
yourself anyway, so you might as well solve the problem in one go. (One
can't really  rely on personal firewalls on local machines, they aren't that
great, plus there are vulnerabilities in both routers and modems).

Okay so the downside of this plan is that the router becomes redundant, but
you can always add another bit of LAN, just for fun....

If you are limited to what "spare" machines you can acquire, email me off
list and I'll see if I can help you