Some peace and quiet

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Mon Oct 6 19:49:33 BST 2003

Trading some security for silence I am about to put my 486 back on
firewall duty in place of the sparc and have installed 4.9RC1.

I've just doctored the PSU fan which was pretty quiet anyway. Now it's
partly my fault for putting them all in there but I'd really like to be
able to

have the two IDEs (having my filesystem) spin down when not needed

have the two SCSIs (not normally mounted) spin down except when I really
do want them for their greater capacity. This could be done quite
manually. I'd rather not resort to pulling their spin-up on power
jumpers. Maybe start/stop unit commands would do ? Will try next time it
is up.

When it had OpenBSD I noticed the ide control utility (whatever it was
called) was able to spin the IDEs down and they span up again on demand
but FreeBSD's atacontrol seems to do nothing of the sort. What am I
missing ?

Jon