ports upgrade

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 18:41:19 GMT 2003

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 06:36:00PM +0100, Frans Diergaarde wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to upgrade the ports collection.
>
> Is it preferable to do a rm -rf /usr/ports before upgrading?

Not unless there's something wrong with your ports tree, it will mean
downloading a lot more when you run cvsup if you delete it.

> Must i do something next after CVSup ports.cvs?

Assuming ports.cvs is your supfile and it's OK, not really.

You're probably best off using:

# cvsup -L 2 ports.cvs

to get some logging.

If you haven't installed portupgrade then do so. There's a good
article on it at:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html

where Henrik's question about finding out what ports need upgrading is
also answered; you might want to upgrade yours too.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

 "Who cares? It's all a bunch of tree hugging hippie crap anyways..."
         - Professor of Humanities, Dr. Eric Cartman.