ports upgrade

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 18:24:53 GMT 2003

--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 06:36:00PM +0100, Frans Diergaarde wrote:

> I want to upgrade the ports collection.

OK.
=20
> Is it preferable to do a rm -rf /usr/ports before upgrading?

No. It's certainly not preferable, and virtually all of the time it's
not necessary.  The whole point of cvsup(1) is that it very
efficiently transfers just the differences between a collection of
files on the cvsup server and what's on your machine.  If this is the
first time ever that you've run cvsup(1) on the ports collection you
might want to start with an empty /usr/ports, but even that isn't
necessary -- see http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html#caniadopt

> Must i do something next after CVSup ports.cvs?

Errr... actually use the updated ports tree to pull down the sources,
compile and install those ports that have updates available?

One thing that is generally important is to rebuild the ports INDEX --
just:

    # cd /usr/ports
    # make index

This will take some time.  The INDEX file on the cvsup servers is
updated every so often, but usually not frequently enough to satisfy
most people.  (A good tip, if you're going to be doing this regularly,
is to add INDEX to your cvsup refuse file, as that's 4Mb or so of file
you don't have to download.)

Try installing the portupgrade(1) port -- it will help you automate
the process of updating your installed ports.  You should be able to
just do:

    # portupgrade -Nia

and it will cycle through all of your ports in correct dependency
order prompting you to update all of the out of date ones.  If you've
been installing binary packages all over the place, it is possible
that you may need to spend some time with pkgdb(1) [part of the
portupgrade port] before everything will upgrade smoothly, but chances
are good that it will "just work".

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20