Update 4.8 to 4.9 or secure

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 10:23:44 GMT 2003

--Qbvjkv9qwOGw/5Fx

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 10:07:25PM +0000, Henrik Morsing wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>=20
> > On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:31:02PM +0000, Henrik Morsing wrote:
> >
> > From 4.8-RELEASE, it's sufficiently close that you can just cvsup the
> > RELENG_4_9 sources directly and compile in one step.
>=20
> Hi,
> I managed to do the update, however, I'm a bit confused about what has
> actually been updated. When I ran lsof it said:
>=20
> WARNING: lsof is compiled for 4.8-RC, this is 4.9-RELEASE
>=20
> I pkg_deleted and pkg_added and now get:
>=20
> WARNING: lsof is compiled for 4.9-RC, this is 4.9-RELEASE
>=20
> and it doesn't work at all.
>=20
> What's the differens between RC and RELEASE and what do I do to update me
> binary packages?

RC is "Release Candidate".  In this case, methinks lsof(1) protesteth
too much.  There's no significant differences between 4.9-RC and
4.9-RELEASE that would impact on lsof -- it's just that the package
set included in 4.9-RELEASE was compiled before 4.9-RELEASE was
released.  (Hard to do it any other way, really...)

You've got two choices: either ignore the warning message, or compile
lsof on your 4.9-RELEASE system.  The sysutils/lsof port will make
that task simple for you -- remember to pkg_delete lsof before trying
to install the port.

	Cheers,

	Matthew=09

--=20