external usb2/firewire ide cases

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Wed Nov 19 13:47:28 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 02:58:57PM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> On 3/7/03 2:38 pm, "Simon Dick" <simond at irrelevant.org> wrote:
>

> > Anyone got any good suggestions for a uk place to get a combo USB2 and
> > firewire external 2.5" enclosure (bare, I have a spare drive).
> >
> > Thanks :)
>
> Try http://www.storagedepot.co.uk - used them for a couple of firewire
> enclosures, no problems. According to their front page, they now do
> usb/firewire combo units.

Hi all,

Anyone have any more recent suggestions for Firewire drives that work well
with FreeBSD?  This would be on a 4.9 box so I'm after a Firewire or combo
unit, unless we have USB2 support on 4.x and I just hadn't noticed yet :-)

Loads of places are selling the Maxtor units at reasonable prices, eg:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=2LYT  Anyone had a good/bad
experience with one of these?

Also found this: http://megadataonline.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=213
which with a 160GB drive would be cheaper than the Maxtor.  Am I right to
assume that anything using the 'Oxford911' chipset is very likely to work?

Cheers,

	Scott