qualification/training question

Alex Dyas adyas at twowaytv.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 14:35:44 GMT 2003

Wearing my employee hat, certification is good to swat up on areas you
don't cover in your day to day, and open your eyes to areas you didn't
already know about.  I recently completed Sun's Solaris System Admin
which I found useful for these reasons.

Wearing my employer hat, certification does not prove very much other
than that you can pass an exam.  I've worked with people who had all
sorts of qualifications but fell short because they didn't have the
experience to back it up.

So do the qualifications if you think it will help you, but don't think
that they will take the place of that magic word - experience.

Alex..