Update 4.8 to 4.9 or secure

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Nov 16 20:15:05 GMT 2003

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 07:40:48PM +0000, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> First question: Is 4.9 the most stable and secure 4 branch or is there
> something called "secure" or where did I get that idea?

4.9-RELEASE is probably the best thing for you.  This is the
recommended verson to run on most mission critical servers -- although
I should mention the caveat in the release notes about how soon before
release some major changes (PAE etc.) were merged.  As far as I can
tell, this warning has so far proved to be unnecessary, and
4.9-RELEASE is performing well.
=20
> Second quetion: I've been reading about CVSup all day but I'm not even
> sure that's the way to update my system. Is downloading all the sources
> the way to go and which version is the best for a stable, secure Internet
> server?

Using cvsup(1) to pull down the sources for which ever release branch
you choose to track is the most popular strategy for maintaining an
up-to-date system.  If you're allergic to compilers, then Colin
Percival has a binary update system in development:
http://www.daemonology.org/

As for choice of version: right now you've basically got 4 different
branches to consider.

    Rel.        CVS Branch

    4-STABLE    RELENG_4
    4.9-RELEASE RELENG_4_9
    5.1-RELEASE RELENG_5_1
    5-CURRENT   .

5-CURRENT is unsuitable for anything except development use.  The 5.x
release versions are still in the "new technology" testing phase, and
aren't at all suitable for production use yet.  The 5.2-RELEASE effort
is just about to get underway.  Current plans are that 5-STABLE won't
be branched and 5.x officially blessed as the preferred production
branch until 5.3-RELEASE due around the end of March next year.  See

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/5-roadmap/index.html

4-STABLE is a possibility, but this is an active development branch --
it's conceivable but generally extremely rare that commits to this
branch will result in a system of less than the required stability.

The 4.9-RELEASE branch code will not be updated except to apply
security patches or in case there is some really show stopping bug
discovered. =20

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20