Update 4.8 to 4.9 or secure

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Sun Nov 16 19:46:34 GMT 2003

Henrik Morsing <henrik at morsing.cc> wrote:

> First question: Is 4.9 the most stable and secure 4 branch or is there
> something called "secure" or where did I get that idea?

There are security patch branches for all the formal releases, each
of these security patch branches have the latest security and critical
fixes applied to them.

> Second quetion: I've been reading about CVSup all day but I'm not even
> sure that's the way to update my system. Is downloading all the sources
> the way to go and which version is the best for a stable, secure Internet
> server?

Probably easiest for you, would be to download the 4.8 sources, and
then cvsup the RELENG_4_8 branch (security patch branch) and build
from that, that will give you 4.8 + critical patches.

You will need to grab the sources, which will be quite big the first
time, and then after that cvsup will pull down only the changes, also
you'll need disk space to do the build.

Unfortunately there isn't really any binary update mechanism in
place, which IMO is something completing lacking in any of the
BSD distributions.

-Paul-

--
Paul Civati <paul.civati(at)xensia.com> www.xensia.net
Xensia, London UK - Quality UK Hosting Services - 0870 321 2855