PERL package and ld-elf.so.1

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Mon Nov 10 08:37:07 GMT 2003

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 09:10:39PM -0000, Chris Rodgers wrote:
> I have just upgraded PERL to perl-5.1.6.1._14 using the packages from
> freebsd.org on a machine running 5.1-release. However, when I now try to run
> PERL it says
>
> 701 firewall / # perl
> ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
> Abort trap
>
> If I create a /libexec and copy ld-elf.so.1 from /usr/libexec in there, perl
> seems to work. Can someone explain what's happened here and how I can fix
> it?

Since FreeBSD 5.1 was released, some things have moved from /usr/lib and
/usr/libexec to /lib and /libexec.  This is in preparation for a
dynamically linked root filesystem.

I'd guess that the packages you grabbed are for -CURRENT, not
5.1-RELEASE.

You've got a couple of choices:

1.  Update to -CURRENT and rebuild.

2.  Rebuild perl from the port.

However the fix you put in place is perfectly valid, so I wouldn't worry
too much about either of them...

For reference, this is what's I've got on my -CURRENT box:

    % ls -CR /lib /libexec
    /lib:
    libalias.so.4           libedit.so.4            libncurses.so.5
    libatm.so.2             libgeom.so.2            libreadline.so.4
    libbsdxml.so.1          libipsec.so.1           libsbuf.so.2
    libc.so.5               libipx.so.2             libufs.so.2
    libcam.so.2             libkiconv.so.1          libutil.so.3
    libcrypt.so.2           libkvm.so.2             libz.so.2
    libcrypto.so.3          libm.so.2
    libdevstat.so.4         libmd.so.2

    /libexec:
    ld-elf.so.1     ld-elf.so.1.old