DHCP server can't ping client by host name

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Mon Nov 3 23:17:29 GMT 2003

I've never fully understood the need to connect dhcpd and bind.

As far as I see there are a few possibilities.

* You want a particular machines (MAC address) to have a certain IP
address. In that case configure dhcpd.conf and hosts or zone files
accordingly.

* You don't care at all about a set of clients. They get any spare IP
address in the range and hosts/zone-files has a load of dhcp<n> entries.

* The client really is fixed. Don't use dhcp at all.

The only exception I can think of is when a client machine can connect to
different networks within the same organisation. I have the feeling this
does not apply to the vast majority of people wanting the bind<->dhcpd
connection.

Jon