DHCP server can't ping client by host name

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Mon Nov 3 13:25:59 GMT 2003

"Kel Graham" <kel at orawia.com> wrote:

> What I'd like to do is ping my laptop by its name from the freebsd server
> (pinging via host name from another Win machine is fine; due to
> NetBIO/Wins lookups, I assume).
>
> However I can't gaurantee that the laptop will always be on the wired, or
> the wireless network, so /etc/hosts entries don't make sense to me.

Have a look into dynamic DNS, there are even some hooks in DHCP (ISC v3?)
for setting dynamic DNS entries when leases are handed out.

Otherwise, you'd have to set up your own dynamic DNS zone (with a key,
easy enough to do), but you'd need some way for the laptop to generate
the dynamic DNS update, maybe someone somewhere has written a utility
to do that..

-Paul-

--
Paul Civati <paul.civati(at)xensia.com> www.xensia.net
Xensia, London UK - Quality UK Hosting Services