Bandwidth Stats

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Tue May 27 17:37:30 BST 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 05:16:41PM +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 04:00:07PM +0100, Wood, Richard wrote:
> > David Proffitt <mailto:david.proffitt at itn.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Or is there a better way to do this?
> > SNMP and MRTG.
>
> I always feel using SNMP to access data on the local machine is a waste
> of resources. I run MRTG on a few Linux boxes and just pull the data
> from /proc to feed to MRTG without the need for another daemon running.
>
> On my FreeBSD box I'm using rrdtool with something along the lines of:
>
> for i in fxp0 vr0 wi0; do
> 	DATA=`netstat -b -I $i | awk '/Link#/ { print "N:" $7 ":" $10}'`
> 	rrdtool update $i.rrd $DATA
> done
>
> to actually capture the data rather than bothering with SNMP.

Really?  The cost of the 9 forks is probably a lot highter than just
asking the snmpd which is already resident.  But to be quite frank, I
doubt that there's a lot in it...

Bonus points for bringing rrdtool into the conversation.  I'd like to
plug cricket[1], which I've used before successfully.

-Dom

[1] http://cricket.sf.net/