Bandwidth Stats

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Tue May 27 17:16:41 BST 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 04:00:07PM +0100, Wood, Richard wrote:
> David Proffitt <mailto:david.proffitt at itn.co.uk> wrote:
> > Or is there a better way to do this?
> SNMP and MRTG.

I always feel using SNMP to access data on the local machine is a waste
of resources. I run MRTG on a few Linux boxes and just pull the data
from /proc to feed to MRTG without the need for another daemon running.

On my FreeBSD box I'm using rrdtool with something along the lines of:

for i in fxp0 vr0 wi0; do
	DATA=`netstat -b -I $i | awk '/Link#/ { print "N:" $7 ":" $10}'`
	rrdtool update $i.rrd $DATA
done

to actually capture the data rather than bothering with SNMP.

J.

--
Web [   101 things you can't have too much of : 1 - Cable ties.    ]
site: http:// [                                          ]       Made by