Problems installing 5.0

Andrew Dennis ajdennis at terrapin-station.demon.co.uk
Sun May 18 21:37:53 BST 2003

Can anyone help with this?

I'm trying to install 5.0 on a laptop that already has Linux installed.
Everything goes ok until booting up when I get the following messages

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s4a
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

I think that for some reason the generic kernel has gone missing.

Is it possible to effect a repair using the live file system CD (I'm
installing from the official 4 CD set) or is it possible to copy the generic
kernel from the installation disc into the appropriate directory on the
laptop.

I know it is possible to have Linux and FreeBSD on the laptop as I installed
4.5 with no probles at all. I guess this is just something weird with the
5.0 installation process.

thanks

andrew dennis