Multiple IP Addresses

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Thu May 15 02:32:24 BST 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:03:59PM +0100, Abdul Salam wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Thanks for that. It works fine now. But, there were not much useful
> information on the FreeBSD site about this.
For a start there's this:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-virtual-hosts.html

Not terribly helpful, but still... outlines the point made by someone
else about ensuring your netmask on the aliased ips is set to
255.255.255.255.

I had trouble though when it came to bringing the aliased ips up at boot
via the rc system with this:

ifconfig_fxp0_alias0="inet 69.41.225.136 netmask 255.255.255.255"
etc

In the end, fed up with having to wait an hour or two to get the support
ppl to revert the rc.conf back to how it was, we ended up putting this:

ifconfig fxp0 69.41.225.136 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias
etc

in /etc/rc.local instead - which works perfectly fine.  Why the rc.conf
setting didn't work I don't know - afaik the two snippets above are
one and the same in terms of the rc mechanism's conversion of the
ifconfig_fxp0_alias0 rc.conf variable into an ifconfig fxp0 command in
/etc/rc.network...

Good luck anyway,

Jez