Mac OS X from a FreeBSD perspective

Andrew Hodgson andrew.hodgson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue May 13 19:24:02 BST 2003

Hi,

I have recently acquired a G3 and installed OS X 10.2, which is really
nice. But there's a few things that don't quite sit right in my mind
regarding the relationship between the BSD and Mac file systems (I've
installed UFS, but everything is in one big partition), and also the
way a hostname is assigned. Also the relation between the Admin account
password and the /etc/passwd file (i.e. my username is NOT in there!).

These are not stated here as major problems, as it's only my first
install. I just wondered if any others have installed OS X and how they
took to it? Are there any particular web resources that could be
recommended? Any advice is much appreciated.

Regards,

Andrew