Samba and WinXp-Pro

Duncan Barclay dmlb at dmlb.org
Tue May 13 11:17:42 BST 2003

> From: "Wood, Richard" <rich at ruh-bath.swest.nhs.uk>

> Pete French <mailto:pete at twisted.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Interesting - two contradictory answers here... what does Rich's SMB
> > config have in it thats doing things differently ?
>
> This is the key part from one of the boxes, this one running Samba 2.2.8a
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = KILL-9.ORG.UK
>         netbios name = BATFINK
>         encrypt passwords = Yes
>         log file = /var/log/log.%m
>         max log size = 50
>         dns proxy = No
>
> [homes]
>         comment = Home Directories
>         read only = No
>         guest ok = Yes

I had the same as this on 2.2.4a. I upgraded to 2.2.8a and set up a PDC
before connecting the XP box. The changes I made were:

    Upgrade to 2.2.8a
    Add a PDC to Samba
    Add host trust accounts manually to /etc/passwd and initialise with
smbpasswd
    Change registry on XPPro
    Test

When I get home, I'll reverse some of this and see if 2.2.8a is all that was
needed.

Duncan