Samba and WinXp-Pro

Pete French pete at twisted.org.uk
Mon May 12 14:26:56 BST 2003

> anyone had any luck in getting Samba and WinXP working. There doesn't seem
> to be any upto date documentation at samba.org (that I can find).

It works fine for me - you are just uusing this to connect to shares on
the Smaba box ? Not doing anything complex like using it as a domain
controller.

I have 'encrypt opasswords = yes' set in the config file, and then I add
accounts using 'smbpasswd -a'. All works fine - and I just duplicated
the cnfig here at work for a collection of Windows machines and that
works too (including CUPS support which is very nice).

As a last resort, if you only have one windows box, then tell samba to
use the windows box to authenticate the passwords...

-bat.