cistron radius

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Mon May 12 11:54:34 BST 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 11:09:44AM +0100, Robin Garbutt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> is there anyone out there with cistron radius experience?

Yes, and it's broken. Don't use it. It hasn't been under active development
for some considerable time, and FreeRADIUS is the project everybody on
Cistron moved to, some two years ago.

Personally, I would strongly reccomend XtRADIUS as you can process auth and
acct packets with any external program (including your own Perl, shell, C,
whatever) you choose. That means you can produce VASTLY more sophisticated
auth and accounting schemes - e.g. auth based on location, time of day and
number of hours permitted, send accounting packets to an SQL backend for
easy processing, etc. anything you want.

I've heard good reports about OpenRADIUS as well, but I don't have 20,000
modem ports to test it against these days, so can't be sure... :-)

--
Paul Robinson