filesystem setup

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Fri May 9 13:15:16 BST 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 12:20:51PM +0100, Lee Brotherston wrote:
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 02:50:44PM +0100, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> >
> > For actual partition sizes how about
> > disk 1
> > 1: 300mb swap
> > 2: 250mb /
> > 3: 1gb /var
> > 4: remaining /usr
> >

> You might want to consider using more mount points (although this
> depends on your specific setup) to add some added security to the
> system....
>
> There are various options you can add to fstab to set mount-time
> options on some mount points (see man mount) to set options such as
> noexec, nosuid and rdonly.  By setting a few more mount points (for
> example /var/tmp and /home) you have more granularity and so can take
> much better advantage of some of the options available to you.

That's a fair point, but it needs to be traded off against disk
fragmentation. My typical set of mount points is /, /var, /usr
all kept to fairly minimal sizes based on experience and then /a, /b, /c
etc for any more space I have split into perhaps 32M or 64M chunks. I
then use symlinks to move things around as I need, which is more
flexible in the long run e.g. my /home directory just contains links to
the physical locations of user directories so they can be easily moved
as needs arise. Likewise, /usr/local/ is often a symlink if I have a lot
of ports and /usr is too small.

--
Paul Richards