filesystem setup

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Fri May 9 13:12:10 BST 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 02:50:44PM +0100, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Thanks for responses
>
> 28/04/03 17:47:56, "Robin Garbutt" <robing at netnorth.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Freebsd 5.0, vinum raid (not the best but does the job), apache 1.3.27, mysql 4.0, php-4.3.1, ipfw (firewall)
>
> I will probably not go with raid as simplicity is more important than data integrity for this box but other points taken.
>
> For actual partition sizes how about
> disk 1
> 1: 300mb swap
> 2: 250mb /
> 3: 1gb /var
> 4: remaining /usr
>
> disk2
> 1: 300mb swap
> 2: remaining /something.probably.html
>
> I've read that spreading swap over 2 disks can be advantageous.

Do you actually expect to swap at all? That's 600M of swap you've
allocated, you'd be far better off spending the 50 quid or so on a 512M
DIMM and not do any swapping.

I don't think my box ever swaps these days, I only have a swap partition
at all to do crash dumps to.

In FreeBSD swap is just extra memory that has a lower priority to real
memory, so unless you expect to regularly need more memory than  you
have I'd just have a relatively small swap partition to provide some
immediate relief in occasional times of load (unless you want to have
crash dumps, in which case swap needs to be a little larger than the
amount of physical ram just to be safe).

--
Paul Richards