RAID config

james jamesp at hisser.org
Wed Mar 26 13:16:21 GMT 2003

Hi

I have a FreeBSD box with a 20GB root disk, and I've just stuck 2 x 120GB
drives into it, with the intention of creating a RAID-mirrored volume
using vinum.

I've found various HOWTO's on the net, but they seem rather
over-complicated. At the moment, my vinum config file looks like this:

drive a device /dev/ad4
drive b device /dev/ad6
volume mirror
  plex org concat
    sd length 117796m drive a
  plex org concat
    sd length 117796m drive b

but when I create this, I get:

eddie# vinum create config1
2 drives:
D a                     State: up       /dev/ad4        A: 4/117800 MB
(0%)
D b                     State: up       /dev/ad6        A: 4/117800 MB
(0%)

1 volumes:
V mirror                State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:        115
GB

2 plexes:
P mirror.p0           C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        115
GB
P mirror.p1           C State: faulty   Subdisks:     1 Size:        115
GB

2 subdisks:
S mirror.p0.s0          State: up       D: a            Size:        115
GB
S mirror.p1.s0          State: empty    D: b            Size:        115
GB

I don't know why my second plex is coming up as faulty. I have a feeling
it's because I haven't labeled my disk, or slice or anything. I just want
to be able to address the whole disk.

Can someone provide a simple step by step howto for this?

Cheers

James