RAID recommendations

dimitrios sehh at altered.com
Mon Mar 24 11:40:52 GMT 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:03:11 +0000 (GMT) Sam Pikesley <samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I have three SCSI disks, and I'm after RAID 5...

You can go for a single channel controller, which would
be the cheaper solution.

You may also go for a two channel controller and then
have two drives on one channel and the third on the
second channel. It should give a bit more throughput.

A two channel controller may be more expensive but
its a better investment for future expansion. You
may also go for a four channel controller but this
will be very expensive and an overkill for 3 drives only.

Here are two of them, the Intel SRCU31 and SRCU32
(the first has one channel the second has two channels)
http://www.intel.com/design/servers/srcu31/
http://www.intel.com/design/servers/srcu32/

btw, there are lots and lots of other brands, so make
sure you check them out. The Intel ones i mention
here are just examples.

The Adaptec equivalents are:
Adaptec SCSI RAID 3210S (two channel)
Adaptec SCSI RAID 2100S (one channel)