RAID recommendations

Sam Pikesley samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 11:03:11 GMT 2003

I have three SCSI disks, and I'm after RAID 5...

 --- dimitrios <sehh at altered.com> wrote: > On Mon, 24
Mar 2003 10:33:21 +0000 (GMT) Sam
> Pikesley <samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Just a quick one: I'm setting up a new server (I
> > actually captured an old linux development box).
> > Anybody got any recommendations for RAID
> controllers?
>
> Stay away from LSI/AMI and their re-branded versions
> (Compaq etc).
>
> LSI/AMI has some major bug in the QLogic chipset on
> some
> of their controllers and they never recalled them,
> so you
> may end up with 20mb/s transfer rates on U160 :P
>
> Intel and Adaptec controllers are the best, but very
> expensive.
>
> Stay away from the Adaptec 0-channel add-on cards,
> they
> have crappy performance.
>
> btw, how many channels? what type of raid?

> ------

=====
End the Axis of Oil - http://stopwar.org.uk

"The enemy of the moment always represented absolute evil, and it followed that any past or future agreement with him was impossible"

               -- George Orwell, 1984