RAID recommendations

dimitrios sehh at altered.com
Mon Mar 24 11:09:16 GMT 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:33:21 +0000 (GMT) Sam Pikesley <samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Just a quick one: I'm setting up a new server (I
> actually captured an old linux development box).
> Anybody got any recommendations for RAID controllers?

Stay away from LSI/AMI and their re-branded versions (Compaq etc).

LSI/AMI has some major bug in the QLogic chipset on some
of their controllers and they never recalled them, so you
may end up with 20mb/s transfer rates on U160 :P

Intel and Adaptec controllers are the best, but very expensive.

Stay away from the Adaptec 0-channel add-on cards, they
have crappy performance.

btw, how many channels? what type of raid?