problems upgrading from 4.7 - 4.8

Andrew Boothman andrew at cream.org
Sun Mar 23 16:46:17 GMT 2003

Slugbucket wrote:

>Having successfully used 'make world' to upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7,
>I thought I'd try the same to upgrade from 4.7 to 4.8 so that I can
>start using the atapicam tools to access CDs. Alas, I've not been so
>lucky.
>cvsup for src-all was fine; the 'make buildworld' had no issues. However,
>I have come unstuck with the new kernel: Below is a sample attempt at
>a kernel build.
>
>jacob# make buildkernel KERNCONF=JACOB
>Running test variables
>PASS: Test variables detected no regression, output matches.
>Running test targets
>PASS: Test targets detected no regression.
>Running test sysvmatch
>PASS: Test sysvmatch detected no regression.
>Running test lhs_expn
>FAIL: Test failed: regression detected.  See above.

Does GENERIC build OK? I always build and boot GENERIC before trying a
custom kernel anyway as you should be sure that it works properly.

Then when you come to configure a custom kernel, you should use the new
GENERIC as a base to start from as new default options may have been
added or options that where in your existing KERNCONF may have been removed.

Andrew.