Hello and LVM

James Pattinson jamesp at hisser.org
Sun Mar 23 11:10:50 GMT 2003

Hi List

I'm a new FreeBSD user, coming from the land of Linux, HP/UX, AIX and
Solaris. I am using FreeBSD now as it seems to have much better support
for hotswapping IDE disks on the hardware I have.

I have been using implementations of LVM on other UNIXes including Linux,
and now I'm looking at Vinum. I've managed to get it working, created a
simple striped volume.

However, it doesn't seem to be as trivial to use as other LVMs, or am I
missing something?

On Linux, I could:

1. Create a Volume Group made of Physical Disks
2. Ask the VG for a Logical Volume of any size - it takes care of the disk
allocation
3. format the LV
4. Extend the LV, Shrink it, Delete it

But it seems on Vinum I have to tell it in advance what disks I want to
use for a volume, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way of extending a
volume if it fills up.

Anyone care to help? :)

Cheers

James