usb card reader

Andrew Boothman andrew at cream.org
Tue Mar 18 04:39:27 GMT 2003

Ben Paley wrote:

>I just bought a cheap usb card-reader for smartmedia cards. I thought I could
>just mount it with mount_msdos but it either says there's no such file or
>"Block device required". I think my kernel is ok (all the usb support options
>are enabled), and my problem is just that I don't know what to mount, usb0 or
>uhci0 or whatever... here's a bit of dmesg:
>

>uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xe000-0xe01f irq 10 at
>device 7.2 on pci0
>usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
>usb0: USB revision 1.0
>uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
>uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
>uhub1: vendor 0x0000 USB HUB , class 9/0, rev 1.10/0.04, addr 2
>uhub1: 4 ports with 4 removable, self powered

I don't think you've shown a relevent part of your dmesg. The reader
should hopefully be recognised as a umass device. Do you see any umass
devices in your dmesg? I don't see anything here but USB controllers
(usb devices) or USB hubs (uhub devices).

Perhpas try typing 'usbdevs -d' for information on what devices have
attached to what hardware.

Andrew.