SCO suit

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Tue Jun 24 18:16:24 BST 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 05:06:28PM +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 04:52:23PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
>
> > Is Linux a GNU/FSF project ?
>
> Next time you go to a conference and Richard Stallman is there, ask him that
> question. I'll be behind you with a video camera.
>
> The short answer is "No".
>
> > I've never contributed anything to FreeBSD so I dont know what their
> > procedure is like - does anyone know what paoperwork, if any, they require
> > and what the checking procedures are to make sure that contributed code is
> > unecumbered ?
>
> Ummm... well I watch the output of CVS when it's grabbing files. There is a
> mailing list where every CVS patch gets posted. Some people actually read
> it. To my knowledge, there is no paperwork. You write your own code. You
> give it to FreeBSD. If you're stealing it from another project, it should be
> BSD licensed code. If it isn't, it does not belong in the base. It belongs
> in those areas specifically marked for GNU/GPL code. There are some
> exceptions. Like gcc.

No there aren't. gcc is in the GNU area too.

We're not as strict as the FSF, but we do make a lot of effort to
scrutinise code that's contributed and there are a lot of experienced
people in the project who take this sort of thing seriously.

--
Tis a wise thing to know what is wanted, wiser still to know when
it has been achieved and wisest of all to know when it is unachievable