SCO suit

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 17:06:28 BST 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 04:52:23PM +0100, Pete French wrote:

> Is Linux a GNU/FSF project ?

Next time you go to a conference and Richard Stallman is there, ask him that
question. I'll be behind you with a video camera.

The short answer is "No".

> I've never contributed anything to FreeBSD so I dont know what their
> procedure is like - does anyone know what paoperwork, if any, they require
> and what the checking procedures are to make sure that contributed code is
> unecumbered ?

Ummm... well I watch the output of CVS when it's grabbing files. There is a
mailing list where every CVS patch gets posted. Some people actually read
it. To my knowledge, there is no paperwork. You write your own code. You
give it to FreeBSD. If you're stealing it from another project, it should be
BSD licensed code. If it isn't, it does not belong in the base. It belongs
in those areas specifically marked for GNU/GPL code. There are some
exceptions. Like gcc.

--
Paul Robinson