SCO suit

Sam Pikesley samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 11:05:46 BST 2003

Except that then the lawyers who now appear to be in
sole charge of the S**t Creek Organization say things
like this:

http://www.byte.com/documents/s=8276/byt1055784622054/0616_marshall.html

which is a load of FUD, of course, and I doubt this
guy knows System V from a hole in the ground, but FUD
tends to stick...

On a lighter note:

A man was in a butcher's shop getting some sausage
rolls. In comes a dog, puts his paws up against the
glass case and buys two lamb chops. The man is so
astonished that he leaves his own purchase behind,
rushes out, and follows the dog to a bus stop. When
the dog gets on and pays with the correct money, the
man jumps on too. The dog sits at the back of the bus
until his stop when he comes forward and presses the
automatic doors. The man follows him to a house where
the dog smacks himself up against the door, presses
the bell with his nose and scratches his paws against
the window. Finally a woman comes to the door, takes
the packet of chops and lets the dog in. The man is so
impressed he goes up to her and says, "Your dog's a
genius!" "No he's not," she replies, "that's the
second time this week he's forgotten his key."

And I saw Tim O'Reilly speaking in London last night
(and very good he was too) and when asked about SCO,
he described the whole thing as 'such a stunt'...

--- Paul Robinson <paul at iconoplex.co.uk> wrote: > On
Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 10:21:49AM +0100, Paul
> Richards wrote:
>
> > A topic of discuss Saturday was the SCO suit,
> where I suggested that
> > getting bought by IBM didn't seem to me to be a
> likely reason for their
> > actions.
>
> Who would want to buy SCO? SCO is crap. Nobody wants
> SCO.
>
> > Today's news is that SCO is not going to sue any
> of *its* Linux
> > customers, since they're already paying for the
> use of any SCO IP that
> > may exist in Linux.
>
> No, they're paying for SCO's products, not Linux, so
> SCO are shooting
> themselves in the foot here if they want the IP
> claims to hold up in court.
> It's like me stealing a Jaguar and the
> manufacturers, Ford, saying that's OK
> because I own a Focus.*
>
> > So, is SCO making a play for the Linux market?
> "Linux is tainted
> > with our code so either pay us royalties or stop
> using it."
>
> SCO already did. Weren't they the bitches behind
> Caldera? The worst Linux
> distrobution in the world? The one nobody wanted,
> just like nobody wanted
> any SCO Unix boxes any more?
>
> > If that's what they're up to then things could
> start getting
> > interesting :-)
>
> Indeed. I predict that within six months, FreeBSD
> will benefit from a bunch
> of articles pointing out that the BSDs have just
> been going along,
> unaffected by all of this. That the IP and legal
> issues around BSD was
> sorted out a long time ago, and the licensing is
> such that the corporates
> can get into a bed with it. Providing of course, by
> that point, all the
> things the corporates need that aren't there at the
> moment, are in place.
>
> And because it's still morning, and I'm bored,
> here's a couple of jokes to
> lighten the mood:
>
> A cheese sandwich walks into a bar. The barman
> clocks him and says "Sorry
> mate, we don't serve food in here..."
>
> No?
>
> A priest, a rabbi and a buddhist walk into a pub.
> The barman says "Is this
> some kind of joke?"
>
> Well, *I* thought they were funny.
>
> --
> Paul Robinson
>
> * I don't in fact own a Focus. I don't drive. Don't
> start sending me your
> "Ha ha! You own a crap car!" e-mails. Do however,
> feel free to send me poor
> quality jokes that work well in a pub.

> ------

=====
Those who do not learn from Dilbert are doomed to repeat it